Brisbane and Surrounds Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Brisbane and Surrounds
Distinguished and Famous People from the Region of Brisbane and Surrounds in Queensland, Australia
Brisbane and its surrounds are home to a diverse range of personalities, some of which have made a significant impact in their respective fields. The following are just a few distinguished and famous people from the region:
1. Peter Beattie - Former Premier of Queensland (1998-2007) and Chairman of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games Corporation. He is now the Chairman of the NRL. Beattie is a prominent figure in Australian politics, having gone full circle from journalist to Labor politician and then back to the media industry as a network television commentator and host.
2. Deb Frecklington - Current leader of the Liberal National Party of Queensland and Member of Parliament for Nanango. Frecklington made headlines when she became the first woman to lead the LNP in 2017.
3. Jeffrey Archer - British author and former politician who has lived in Australia for many years. Archer, a master of the suspense genre, has sold over 330 million books worldwide.
4. Tim Fairfax - Businessman and philanthropist who has given millions of dollars in support of the arts, education and healthcare. Fairfax is a former Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Queensland Art Gallery and the Gallery of Modern Art.
5. Wally Lewis - Legendary rugby league player known as the "King" by fans. Lewis played for the Wynnum-Manly Seagulls and Brisbane Broncos before retiring in 1992. He is now a commentator for Channel Nine.
6. Delta Goodrem - Australian singer-songwriter and musician who has had a string of hits in both Australia and overseas. Born in Sydney, Goodrem moved to the Gold Coast as a teenager and began her career on the Australian soap opera "Neighbours".
7. James Cook - The famous British navigator and explorer is often associated with Queensland because of the important role he played in mapping the Eastern coastline of Australia. Cook visited the region in 1770 and named the area the "Bay of Inlets", which was later renamed Moreton Bay.
8. Nick Xenophon - Former South Australian politician and Senator for the Nick Xenophon Team. Xenophon, a lawyer, has been a vocal advocate for gambling reform and consumer protection.
9. Julia Gillard - The first female Prime Minister of Australia (2010-2013). Gillard was also the first woman to hold the post of Deputy Prime Minister (2007-2010).
10. Hugh Jackman - Australian actor who is best known for his role as Wolverine in the X-Men film series. Jackman grew up in Sydney but spent some time in Brisbane before launching his acting career.
These are just a few of the many distinguished and famous people from the region of Brisbane and surrounds in Queensland, Australia. Each one has made a significant contribution to their respective fields and has helped to put Queensland on the map.